Disabled War Veterans (India), during the year has been involved in the following issues that concern the War Disabled in particular and other disabled that have benefited due to the issues resolved:
- The challenge of representing the requirements of Disabled War Veterans towards their entitlements before the 7th Pay Commission was met. Results are awaited.
- The various anomalies created by issue of PCDA(P) Circular No 555 especially the pensions of Lt’s, Capt’s and Major’s together of those of Sepoys etc were brought before the Judicial Commission vigorously.
- Justice Reddy, during the meeting accepted the facts brought out by us and noted that a notional amount based on the formula of 50% of Salary should have been the starting point.
- The same issue was represented to the Raksha Mantri on 1st July 2016 and we hope the outcome is favourable.
The long standing demand of Pension enhancement of Widows of Disabled War Veterans invalided out of service by inclusion of disability element plus service element has been repeated. Turned down by 7th pay Commission and then by MoD, we took up the same again in the 28th SCOVA Meeting and the case has been reopened. We pointed out that MoD had misrepresented the case by including all disabled. In the 28th SCOVA meeting, we pointed this out and case was reopened. The JS (Exp) attending immediately informed the Chair that if MoD forwarded the case to them, they would immediately approve the same. This was again represented to the RM on 1st July 2016 and we hope the case is progressed correctly now.
- The PCDA(P) has lost sight of the MoD Letter No200487/Pen-C/71 dated 24-02-1972 letter issued as a special dispensation wherein it was stipulated that “the service element will be equal to the normal retiring pension including death-cum-retirement gratuity would be entitled”. Subsequent orders of 2001 etc were issued modifying the above. The result is that the DGL’s prepared by PCDA(P) exclude correct entitlements of the disabled war veterans invalided out of service. When placed before RM he has agreed to remedy this.
- The orders for OROP were issued by MoD based on Draft Government Letter prepared by PCDA(P) indicating actual rendered service, ignoring MoD letter 200847/Pen-C/71 dated 24 Feb 1972. This completely eliminated all Disabled War Veterans Invalided out of service and their widows. RM has agreed to amend this oversight.
The issue of SERVICE ELEMENT being calculated at maximum service of the rank has been accepted. MoD letter on which basis PCDA(P) circular 560 clearly states in para (h) our authorisation.
- Issue of broad banding of Disability for those retained in service has been taken up and RM and JS(ESW) have assured that the moment the approval is received from Min of Fin (exp) they will issue necessary orders.
- The association shifted to its permanent office at C6-18/1 Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi 110016
- The War Disabled were initially a separate category till 1987 and thereafter merged with other disabled pensioners released from service. This was the period that no more invalidment was resorted to. Consequent to this merger, the Priority accorded to such Veterans ceased. We have broached the issue to RM and hope our special category is restored.
- DIWAVE has started a Magazine with the name Yudh Veer Times which is under print and shall reach the members shortly
- ECHS decided to replace the present 16Kb and 32 Kb with 64 Kb beneficiary cards and also doing away with the white cards indicating priority treatment to the War Disabled in ECHS Poly Clinics and Military Hospitals. DIWAVE got the decision overturned and white cards according Priority treatment will continue as hitherto fore for the War Disabled and their spouses.
- Purchase of cars to War Disabled Other Ranks with less than 10 years of service through CSD Canteens has been allowed with efforts of DIWAVE.
- War Disabled Veterans may now report directly to Military Hospital OPD’s without ECHS referrals.
- Letter regarding consultation directly at the OPDs of Armed Force Hospitals without obtaining a referral from ECHS Polyclinics.
- Letter regarding Issue of White Card to the War Disabled / Battle Causality Veterans & their Spouse.
- Letter regarding Parking facilities for War Disabled Veterans and other Disabled Veterans in Armed Forces Hospitals.